Probiotics are live bacteria that are good for the human digestive system. Some of the probiotics are yeasts that can be eaten to help with digestion. There is a misconception that all germs are harmful and thus cause diseases. But contrary to this belief, the human body has both good and bad bacteria at all times. Probiotics are the good bacteria that are helpful in keeping the gut and the digestive system healthy.
Today, these probiotics are sold in supplements. They are also found in certain foods such as the yogurt. Medical professionals often suggest the intake of probiotics when someone is facing problems with regard to digestion.
There are different types of probiotics that can be found on sale for human consumption. Largely, they can be found in two categories.
- Lactobacillus: Lactobacillus is the most common type of probiotic that is sold in the markets today. It is generally found in foods that are fermented such as yogurt. This probiotic helps people who are lactose intolerant and cannot digest the lactose, i.e. the sugar in the milk. It especially comes in handy when someone has diarrhea.
- Bifidobacterium: This probiotic can be found in some of the dairy products. This kind of probiotics helps ease the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. It also helps with a few other digestive conditions.
The benefits of Probiotics:
Probiotics help the human body by replacing the good bacteria when it is lost. This may happen when someone is on antibiotics. Probiotics help to balance the good and bad bacteria that human bodies have in order for it to function efficiently. It can also send food through the gut by working on the nerves that control gut movement. While researches are still attempting to understand the full potential of the probiotics, there are some things we know for sure. Consulting with doctors on the probiotics suitable is for us advised. Some of the health issues that probiotics can help within the treatment of are the following:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Certain skin conditions
- Preventing allergies and cold
- Oral Health
- Urinary tract Health
- Vaginal Health
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- pylori (this causes ulcers)
- Recurrence of bladder cancer
- Infection of the digestive tract (caused by Clostridium difficile)